I absolutely love Autumn as it means I finally have an excuse to buy a new Winter coat. Wearing a coat means I don’t have to think too deeply about my clothes underneath (unless I’ll be removing my coat), so it takes the extra stress out of deciding my outfit. I can’t believe how many stunning coats there are this season and I had a really difficult time narrowing down the coats into my top ten. I like my coat to look classical and be wearable until Spring (yes it rains here even in Summer). I tend to invest in one coat and add it to my previous years collections and rotate them around throughout the cold season. This way I get maximum use out of my entire coat collection. I also tend to invest quite heavily into one good coat, as this is one item I never throw away.
1. This shade of Burgundy is fabulous for the moody weather that presents itself during the Autumn/Winter months. The colour is muted enough to not stand out too much, but colourful enough to brighten up your day. The relaxed fit makes it wearable on top of any clothing. You can purchase this at Top Shop for only £59.
2. This Dark Purple is stunning and an instant mood lifter. Swing coats are extremely flattering and the colour makes it a statement worthy coat. If you like deep bright colours, this is an excellent choice. This is also produced in a beautiful bright red. This coat is available at Warehouse for £89.
3. The whole Banana Republic x Olivia Palermo collection is stunning and very wearable (I always did love Olivia Palermo’s taste). This Military coat is no exception. The pillar box red is powerful and most definitely this seasons statement colour. Investing in a red coat is always wise as red is continually fashionable throughout the seasons. The stunning gold details and structure only add to the appeal of the coat. It is available at Banana Republic for £325.
4. Dark Green has always been a favourite of mine. This particular hue feels deep and plush and very elegant. The style of this coat also feels relaxed with a single button fastening, but polished with a collar and longer hem. It is available at River Island for £100.
5. People tend to shy away from capes thinking of Little Red Riding Hood, but nothing looks more elegant than a cape worn correctly. This classic cut long black cape from Zara oozes elegance and although some many find the cape impractical due to its sleeveless nature, it is perfect for throwing over a pair or jeans or trousers. The cape also looks stunning on top of abayas and loose fitted garments, as it is just thrown over the top. Available from Zara for £95.99.
6. Wool Coats are perfect for cold weather. Their longevity in terms of clothing is also amazing. This navy blue long belted coat has the perfect shape to wear over any clothing and can be worn with or without a belt. The length is excellent in terms of those looking for a modest length and the belt can be adjusted to give a loose and casual look or a more formal look. It is quite versatile in terms of wearability and can probably be worn for most of the year. Zara sell this coat for £95.99 too. (I have no idea how that figure came about).
7. Black herringbone makes a subtle statement perfect for the Winter months. The maroon cuff brings this coat right on trend and the style once again makes it wearable and modest. The narrow blazer style lapels give it a casual feel. This retails for £115 at River Island.
8. You’ve probably realised from previous posts how much I love yellow. This mohair mix coat is a beautiful shade of yellow and the colour alone makes me happy. The collar can be worn down or up making it versatile in terms of style. The thickness and fabrics make it a good choice if you are after warmth in the cooler months. The relaxed style also makes it easy to wear. Net-A-Porter retail this for £750.
9. Karen Millen produce excellent fitted clothing. This coat has perfect structure and warmth and is excellent for those who like a polished look when wearing a coat. The wide collar and belt give it a more traditional feel and the camel colour is a perfect neutral for those who like light yet neutral colours. Available at Karen Millen for £350.
10. I feel like indigo is quite overlooked when it comes to clothing. The deep bluey purple that indigo represents always fascinates me as it really does make a statemnt. This Longline Wrap Coat from Reiss displays all that is fabulous about Indigo as a colour. The classical wrap style and belt give the coat a flattering shape. If you are not waist heavy, this is probably the most flattering coat you can opt for. Available for £365 from Reiss.
If you enjoyed this post, don’t forget to comment or subscribe below. Have you seen any great coats this season?